More details to come in the following days.
National Gathering in Bradford 3rd-4th July 2004
The next Dissent! gathering will take place at the 1 in 12 Club ( http://www.1in12.go-legend.net/) in Bradford from the 3rd-4th July 2004.
The 1 in 12 Club is at 21-23 Albion Street, Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK. A map can be found at: http://www.1in12.go-legend.net/map.htm
Practical Information (subject to change)
The Gathering is taking place over a weekend, people are welcome to arrive on Friday evening, as the meetings are likely to begin fairly early on Saturday morning (the exact timetable is to be worked out later).
If you want to attend the Gathering IT IS ESSENTIAL that you let the organisors know:
How many people you are
If you require accommodation
If you have any special requirements.
Please email this address: firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
'Dissent! A Network of Resistance Against the G8' was formed at the end of November 2003. Local groups and working groups are now forming to build a response to the G8 which it is hoped will exist well beyond the summer of 2005. Work has alre ady started on producing publicity and information materials and putting together roadshows to mobilise people for action. Networking with social movements in Europe and further afield has begun, and across the UK solidarity actions were taken with those resisting the 2004 G8 Summit in the US.
The 'Dissent!' network is committed to taking a confrontational stance, calling for direct action. It is a Network without leaders or an official membership list. It is open to anyone who agrees to work under the hallmarks laid down by Peoples' Global Action (PGA) - see end of text.
1) A very clear rejection of capitalism, imperialism and feudalism; all trade agreements, institutions and governments that promote destructive globalisation.
2) We reject all forms and systems of domination and discrimination including, but not limited to, patriarchy, racism and religious fundamentalism of all creeds. We embrace the full dignity of all human beings.
3) A confrontational attitude, since we do not think that lobbying can have a major impact in such biased and undemocratic organisations, in which transnational capital is the only real policy-maker;
4) A call to direct action and civil disobedience, support for social movements' struggles, advocating forms of resistance which maximise respect for life and oppressed peoples' rights, as well as the construction of local alternatives to global capitalism.
5) An organisational philosophy based on decentralisation and autonomy.
For more information about Peoples`Global Action (PGA), visit: www.agp.org
For more information about the Dissent! visit: www.dissent.org.uk