Protesters will meet at 1230pm at Palmeira Square on Sunday 30th July and march to the Palace Pier in opposition to the attacks on Lebanon and Gaza and the continued occupation of Palestinian land. The march is jointly organised by Sussex Action for Peace and the Brighton and Hove Palestine Solidarity Campaign. There will be speeches, near the palace pier, from sections of the community affected by the Israeli attacks.
The march will call on the British Government to condemn the Israeli attacks and call for an immediate ceasefire. Marchers also condemn all those who profit from the attacks, such as the Brighton arms manufacturers EDO MBM.
Israel is currently engaged in a murderous assault on the people of Lebanon which has claimed the lives of nearly 500 civilians in the past fortnight. Half of these are estimated to be under eighteen. The UN estimates that 600 000 refugees have been created by the Israeli bombardment, Those killed have included workers for the Red Cross and United Nations aid workers.
Israel continues her reoccupation and bombardment of Gaza, 24 civilians were killed in attacks near Gaza city yeterday.
John Miller, for Brighton and Hove Palestine Solidarity Campaign, said ‘The Israeli attacks are war crimes, on Sunday we will urge the international community, and our representatives in Brighton and Hove, to call for an immediate ceasefire and Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon and Gaza. We are also calling on civilians to boycott Israel until it complies with international humanitarian law’.
Palestine Solidarity Campaign - 07845039980
Notes to Editors:
1. For comments please call 07845039980
2. The Palestine Solidarity Campaign (PSC) aims to raise public awareness about the occupation of Palestine and the struggle of the Palestinian people. PSC seek to bring pressure on both the British and Israeli government to bring their policies in line with international law. PSC is an independent, non-governmental and non-party political organisation with members from communities across Britain.
3. On 9th June 2005 a coalition of Palestinian Civil Society Organisations issued a ‘Call for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions against Israel until it complies with International Law’. See http://www.stopthewall.org/downloads/pdf/BDSEnglish.pdf for the full statement and signatories.
4. Israel occupied the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Golan Heights in 1967 in contravention of international law.
Since then Israel has moved over 380,000 settlers into these occupied territories in contravention of the Fourth Geneva Convention (article 49), the Hague Regulations and United Nations Security Council Resolutions.
Israel continues to build an illegal apartheid wall inside the West Bank despite the Advisory Ruling of the International Court of Justice in 2005 on the Israeli side of the wall separated from the West Bank. Since 2000 Israel has demolished 628 Palestinian houses, home to 3, 983 people, in acts of collective punishment. These demolitions constitute a war crime. (Above statistics confirmed by Israeli Information Centre Btselem see www.btselem.org)
3, 808 Palestinians have been killed as a direct result of Israeli military actions and 29, 456 injured during the current uprising which began in September 2000.
5. For latest news and updates please see www.palestinecampaign.org