W@ | 02.09.2001 08:29 | Fiesta for Life
A FIESTA FOR LIFE AGAINST DEATH will be held on the opening day of DSEi – Tuesday, September 11th. The WOMBLES (White Overall Movement Building Libertarian Effective Struggle) will be present along with Reclaim The Streets, Campaign Against the Arms Trade (CAAT), CND, Rhythms of Resistance and Barking Bateria Samba Bands and other groups involved in the Disarm DSEi collective.
The objective is playfully serious (or seriously playful!) - the disruption of the DSEi arms fair. To achieve this we need to be aware of the police and their actions. THEY WILL HAVE 5 MAIN AIMS WHEN FACED WITH A MASS ACTION:
- To break the crowd up into manageable portions, which they will either keep moving then disperse or, increasingly likely, contain then slowly disperse.
- Provoke violence to justify their actions and flush out ‘ringleaders’ for the morning papers.
- To contain the crowd and stop the ‘trouble’ spreading.
- To intimidate and break the spirit of the crowd.
- To gather evidence for later.
Clearly what we have to do is stop them achieving their objectives. The aims of people faced by police violence on a large mass action should be:
- Getting yourself and your mates away safely, rather than fighting.
- Taking effective action, rather than fighting.
- Helping others in trouble by administering first aid and de-arresting, rather than fighting.
The WOMBLES have received a large amount of attention recently, but use of padded body protection, helmets and our bodies to protect protestors from police attack is intended as a tactic rather than the preserve of a particular group. We encourage others to get involved in the idea – either by joining the WOMBLES on the day ( - and, preferably, at training sessions beforehand) or by organising within your own affinity groups.