The idea of a Border Social Forum grew out the World Social Forum in Caracas, Venezuela in January 2006. A dozen organizations from Mexico and the US met over the proposal to organize an action to tear down the “Wall of Death” on the US-Mexico border. In the agreements of Caracas, it was agreed by the organizations to hold the first Border Social Forum and the action against the “Wall of Death.” The organizations pulled together a press conference and announced the Border Social Forum for May of 2006 and the action against the wall of death.
The organizing committee for the Border Social Forum was founded in the February 18, meeting in CD Juarez. 30 organizations decided unanimously to go ahead with the organization of the Border Social Forum but changed the date from May 3-5 to October 6-8 and now the date is set for October 13-15, 2006. The organizing committee of the Border Social Forum has been meeting on a monthly basis in CD Juarez.
Goals of the Border Social Forum
- Create a broad space where everyone fits (pluralistic and inclusive). Organize the first Border Social Forum 13-15 de October 2006 with 300-500 delegates.
- Have participating delegations from all of the border states (US-Mexico border)
- Obtain the most broad participation of the grassroots social movements (participation & program)
- The integration of the social movements of the global south and north
- Internationalize the struggles at the US-Mexico border regions
- Pull together an analysis of the present situation on the US-Mexico border (including Latin America & Caribbean).
- Produce a set of agreements that will pull together a border plan of action and solutions to the problems faced.
- Take action against the “Wall of Death” and get the military out of the border.
- Integrate the border plan of action into the World Social Forum in Kenya and the US Social Forum in Atlanta 2007.
Where is it taking place?
The Border Social Forum is taking place in CD Juarez, Chihuahua Mexico just across El Paso, Texas on October 13-15, 2006. The Border Social Forum will take place at the campus of the Autonomous University of CD Juarez (UACJ).
CD Juarez-El Paso, Texas forms a metropolitan bi-national region that plays an important role on the US-Mexico border. The clash between the global north and south happens there, dividing the poor and rich countries. CD Juarez, Chihuahua is site of the killings of hundreds of women workers and the border city with the first maquiladoras (assembly plants) in 1965 and where they are most numerous. El Paso, TX is the city with the central intelligence headquarters for the border and the global south. All of the law enforcement and military troops on the US-Mexico border are coordinated from here. More importantly, El Paso-Juarez are at the geo-political (ground zero) center of the US-Mexico border.
If you (or your organization) are interested in participating in the forum, please contact Tahirih to discuss logistics!