Today, 19 April, 2007 police opened fire on 4000 Adivasis (indigenous communities) in Ghateha village in Teothar Tehsil in the Rewa District of the State of Madhya Pradesh in India under the supervision of Divisional Forest Officer (DFO), SDOP and Circle Officer.
Superintendent of police unaware of the DFO's actions.
- It is a complete mayhem out there and NFFPFW calls upon all of you to condemn the action by the police and the administration. Delayed action may cause much more casualties.
Protest & demand immediate halt to police action to
- the Prime Minister (Fax: 91 11 23019545, 23016857)
- the Minister of Tribal Affairs (Tel No. 91 11 2348 8482, Fax: 23070577, 23381499) - the Minister of Environment & Forests (Tel No. 91 11 24351727, Fax:24362222)
- the State and district administration (Fax No. of Chief Minister, Madhya Pradesh 91 755 2540501, 2551781
- send across appeals to various groups and people
- raise your voice against the brutalities meted out to people at various levels
Let us not let another Kalinganagar, Singur and Nandigram happen in Rewa
Timeline of events to mayhem
- 1500 Families comprising 4000 Adivasis with large number of children have been dependent on the forest land in Ghateha village in Teothar Tehsil in Rewa District of Madhya Pradesh. Their living was dependent on the rainfed agriculture from the 1500 bighas land.
- *15 March, 2007* - Around 1500 families dependent on the land in Ghateha village permanently shifted to live on the land which they have been living off since more than three years. The forest department started claiming the land and the harassment started. It is noteworthy here that the land in and around the area was denotified in July 1974.
- *5 April, 2007* - Seventeen people of Ghateha village of Teothartehsil in Rewa district charge sheeted under Dhara 26,33 & 67 by the Forest Department on their way back from the forest. Nine of them are in jail. Eight of them are missing since then.
- *17 April, 2007* - SDM, SDOP and Forest department official went to Ghateha village and told people that they will be given the Gram Sabha land provided they vacate the land they are in now. Villagers were threatened of dire consequences if not obliged.
- *18 April, 2007*- The District Magistrate Mr. B.C. Ahuja gives assurance to the people to ascertain the status of the land and if it is forest land then people will be given appropriate land.
- *19 April, 2007* Deployment of police force under the supervision of DFO, SDOP and Circle Officer. Police opens fire after initial tear gas shells. Houses are set on fire. The attack is still on.
Mata Dayal Ramesh Munni Lal
Sanjay Basu Mullick
*National Forum of **Forest** People and **Forest** Workers*
April 19, 2007
143 Khirki Village
New Delhi - 110 017
Mobile: 91 9818147740
Tel (R) No. 91 11 29541502