Please join the demonstration to stop this gross violation of Human Rights on Thursday, September 6 at 3:00pm outside the Bangladesh High Commission.
* Professor Anwar M. Hossain, Chairman, Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology and General Secretary, Dhaka University Teachers Association (DUTA).
* Professor Harun-or-Rashid, Dean, Dept. of Social Science, Dhaka University
* Professor Saidur Rahman Khan, Former Vice-Chancellor of Rajshahi University
* Abdus Sobhan, Convenor of Rajshahi University Progressive Teachers Society
* Moloy Kumar Bhowmik, Dept. of Management, Rajshahi University
These teachers today now join hundreds of other people arrested without charge and held in Bangladeshi prisons and Army Interrogation Centres, including students, political workers, factory workers, labour leaders, political leaders and ordinary citizens. Some have not been given any legal representation or access to their families and are being psychologically and physically tortured.
Please come along and lend your support by demanding the release of the five arrested university teachers and hundreds of others arrested without charge.
Bring: friends, banners, music, voices, inspiration
Publicise!! Word of mouth, leaflets, posters, e-mail, carrier pigeon! Forward this email to everyone. Contact everyone you know including any contacts you may have in the media, action/pressure groups, parliamentary representatives, cameramen, photographers, journalists etc.
We are calling on all like-minded people to attend to stop this barbarism.
Event: Demonstration for the immediate release of the Bangladeshi Academics
Host: The Bengali Community of the UK, Friends and Family of the Arrested Academics
When: Thursday, September 6 at 3:00pm
Where: Bangladesh High Commission, 28 Queen's Gate, South Kensington, London, SW7 5JA.
Buses: 49, 70, 74, 360. Tube strike be damned, it’s worth crawling to if you have to!
RECENT MEDIA REPORTS:
* BBC - “Bangladesh moves to quell unrest” - 24 August 2007
* The Guardian - “Bangladesh relaxes curfew after arresting Academics” - 24 August 2007 - http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2155562,00.html
* Al-Jazeera News - “Bangladesh arrests Academics” - 24 August 2007
* Human Rights Watch - “Bangladesh: Abuses Grow in Crackdown on Protests, Students Angry After Eight Months of Emergency Rule” - 25 August 2007
* BBC - “Photo the Bangladesh army cannot stand” - 28 August 2007
Bangladeshi Community in the UK