Back for a second year, the Feminist Fightback activist conference is organised by a group of socialist feminists, including the Education Not for Sale student network (www.socialistfeminist.org.uk). It aims to bring together feminists from a wide range of perspectives to debate ideas and develop practical strategies for fighting women’s oppression and exploitation.
Fightback 07 will build on the success of last year’s conference, attended by over 220 people, which gave rise to several activist initiatives, including the March 3 2007 Torch-Lit March for Abortion Rights.
This year we will continue our campaign to defend and extend abortion rights and our discussions will include...
- Is sexy always sexist? Feminism, lads mags and pornography
- Feminists Against Borders
- Islamic feminism
- Race, sex, class
- The gender pay gap, low pay and the class struggle
- Women's struggles in Latin America
- Women against sweatshops
- Introduction to socialist feminism
Plus film showings...
- Love, Honour and Disobey: a film by Southall Black Sisters
- A place of rage: woman in the US civil rights movement
Free creche provided.
Followed by a fundraising social at the Ivy House, 8-10 Southampton Row, near Holborn tube.
Feminist Fightback’s supporters include the National Union of Students Women’s Campaign, the Rail Maritime and Transport Union's Women’s Committee and the International Union of Sex Workers.
The conference will be held at the University of East London Docklands campus (see here for details and directions). For more information, or to register, ring 07890 209 479, or email email@example.com