I write to you to draw your attention to a case of a gentleman by the name of Farid Hilali, a Muslim man who was extradited to Spain on false premise on the 8th February 2008. There has been next to no media coverage regarding this, despite the fact there are dozens of irregularities with the case.
To give some details :-
• Mr Hilali was sought on the basis of telephone intercept evidence, which was found in the Spanish Supreme Court to be inadmissible within Court.
• The alleged co-conspirator in the European Warrant, Mr Yarkas, has been exonerated of all charges in relation to this recording
• Mr Hilali is alleged by the Spanish Prosecutors Office to be a member of the ‘Hamburg Cell’, even though German Prosecutors have stated that there is no record of Mr Hilali ever having been involved.
• Mr Hilali upon arrival was charged in relation to membership of a proscribed organisation, even though the UK courts stated that it would be prohibited for him to be extradited for this reason.
• No charges relating to the European Arrest Warrant have been served on Farid Hilali since his arrival
• Mr Hilali is at severe risk of torture by both the Spanish Government and by the Moroccan Government if Spain were to subsequently deport him.
I personally am deeply suspicious of the lack of publicity regarding this, as we have normally had a very efficient and free media in this country. I also cannot help but feel that this particular case is being suppressed by a government that is nervous about upsetting its European neighbour Spain by demanding basic liberties and human rights.
Thanks for your help & regards