Pseudonym behind a proxy
Evidence against him was flimsy, including:
* his moral support for illegal direct action, which he was perfectly open about.
* his previous convictions for arson, which again is no secret.
* his speeches against the Oxford lab, which were perfectly legal
* possession of some sparklers, which isn't illegal.
* supposed DNA evidence on an match found on an incendiary device, which an expert claimed in court to be fatally flawed.
Mel was under surveillance by police for a long time, so they must have known he wasn't involved.
Also, a tape recording accidentally made by police talking amongst themselves revealed they were out to get Mel, they "planning to wage a 'dirty war' against him":
"The officers were heard allegedly scheming to bring down Mel Broughton, who is on trial over a suspected firebombing campaign against a controversial animal testing research laboratory."
You can write letters of support to Mel at:
Mel Broughton (TN9138), HMP Woodhill, Tattenhoe Street, Milton Keynes, Bucks MK4 4DA.
For up to date addresses of animal rights prisoners, see the Vegan Prisoners Support Group website ( http://www.vpsg.org) or the Animal Liberation Front Support Group website ( http://www.alfsg.org.uk)