vestas worker (right)
talking to attendees
Some attending the meeting (and the protest) were arguing that 'nice guy' Ed Milliband had done a lot for climate change and (probably) supports the Vestas workers but 'dark-lord' Mandelson is holding the government back from stepping in, and so we shouldnt be giving Ed a hard time. But then if everything 'nice guy' Ed has been saying for the past two weeks is being completely undermined by the actions of his government, maybe he should just resign?
What you can do
* Send messages of support from yourself or your organisation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Send a donation from your trade union or other organisation, or make a personal donation: cheques payable to Ryde and East Wight Trades Union Council, 22 Church Lane, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 2NB
* Contact energy minister Ed Miliband. His e-address is email@example.com. His phone number in his Doncaster constituency is 01302 875 462, and at Westminster, 020 7219 4778. Flood him with calls for the Government to take over the Vestas factory and keep it producing, under new management.
* Organise a visible demonstration of solidarity. Take a photo with a placard that reads “Save Vestas” and email the photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Sign the petitions http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/SaveVestas/ on the No.10 site and http://www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/climate/press_for_change/vestas_petition_20414.html on the FoE website.
Upcoming solidarity actions & meetings
# Thu 30 July
* CAMDEN Institute of Education, Bedford Way, WC1, meeting, 6.30pm
* PORTSMOUTH Room F, Floor 3, Central Library, meeting, 7.30-9pm, email: VWSGPortsmouth@googlemail.com
# Fri 31 July
* WARRINGTON Vestas HQ, 302 Bridgewater Place, Warrington WA3 6XG, protest, 12 noon
* GATESHEAD Bridges Room, Gateshead Civic Centre, meeting, 6.30-8pm, email: email@example.com
# Sat 1 August
* MANCHESTER Piccadilly Gardens, rally, 12 noon, organised by Manchester Trades Council and CACC, tel: 07958 535231