Unity | 24.03.2010 18:49 | Anti-racism
After the deportation of Benjamin Karimyon was prevented upon judicial review, we in Glasgow are now faced with the possibility that good friend of Benjamin, and other Calais Migrant Solidarity / No Borders activists from Calais, could be deported to Italy this Friday 26th March.
Farhad arrived in the UK after facing inhumane conditions in Italy and is worried for his safety if he is deported back there. We also believe that deportations contradict people's right to freedom of movement defined under Article 13 of the Human Rights Charter, as well as being illegal under Articles 3 and 5 of the Human Rights Act 1998.
He's due to be on the BA flight BA572 from Gatwick at 7:50am, 26th March and is currently being held at Brook House Detention Centre, near Gatwick airport, which you can reach on 01293 566500. If you are a Farsi speaker and would like to offer words of support to Farhad directly you can call the above number and then ask to speak with Farhad. You can also call the Home Office and the airline to demand consideration of Farhad's case for the following reasons:
1. Italy is not a safe country for Asylum Seekers:
Report by Thomas Hammarberg, Commissioner for Human Rights of the Council of Europe, following his visit to Italy on 13-15 January 2009
Human Rights Watch UPR Submission on Italy
Concentration camps for immigrants admission by Silvio Berlusconi
05 February 2009 Amnesty International UA 29/09 Forcible return/fear of torture or other ill-treatment
(Amnesty Appeal from February last year)
2. Farhad is also personally in danger while in Italy because he has been threatened by people smugglers who claim he owes them money. Farhad’s life is in danger because of the traffickers and he has already been beaten up, which he did not report to the police.
Benjamin and Farhad are requesting that people take action to stop this in any way people think appropriate:
Ways you can help:
- write / fax a letter of support to the Home Office or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure to quote Farhad's full name and his HO Reference number S1433525
- contact the Unite union BA cabin crew strike, asking them to put pressure on BA:
Pauline Doyle: 0797 6832861
Ciaran Naidoo: 0776 8931315
- contact BA management urging them not to conduct deportation flights:
Customer Relations phone: 0844 493 0 787 Monday-Friday 08:00-18:30 (hold line till operator answers)
- be at Gatwick airport early on Friday morning to talk to and leaflet passengers due to be on the flight to refuse to board in solidarity with Fahrad (contact Pete on 0775 734 2411 [leave a message if no contact there] or at northerner [at] riseup.net)
- any other ways you can think of!
The UNITY Centre
30 Ibrox Street
0141 427 7992