David has been sacked because of a disagreement with the College Principal Keith Bate on educational theory and politics. The maths department have received considerable lack of support in the face of student needs, including:
* Failure by College management to agree specialist cover in staff absence, in-spite of a substantial surplus which could fund this
* Lecturers expected to teach two different classes in two different rooms at the same time
* Students in a functional lesson being encouraged by management to give up the studies their time is allocated for in order to participate in a “focus group” based around leading questions with no rigorous development or consistent recording of data
* Lecturers doing up to 7 cover slots, with no allowances made for planing and assessment
* Non-specialist staff regularly covering Maths sessions
* Failure to provide teaching for students in the vital run up to exams
* Victimisation of a known trades unionist, along with possible victimisation of other known activists in the maths department, setting a precedent for activists to be targeted with knock-on effects for other trades-unionists nationally.
This is an attack on trades unionism and will have disastrous consequences for both students and teachers.
UCU members have voted unanimously to ballot for strike action
Halesowen College Principle Keith Bate can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Keith Bate, Principal, Halesowen College, Whittingham Road, Halesowen, B63 3NA
There is also a petition https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/halesowen-college-reinstate-david-muritu-as-a-maths-lecturer-at-the-college
Justice for the Halesowen 4