The meeting was constructive. The ambassador expressed regret about the injurys sustained and agreed to assist the NUJ in an advisory and go-between capacity with regard to seeking compensation. He also agreed that the statement on the Embassy website which suggested that prior to the incident a Policeman was injured by a firework was inacurate and would be updated.
Clearly the deputy ambassador was in no way involved with the Geneva Police opperation and was therefore unable to answer the many questions that I have about what happened. He did however agree to pass a list of questions written by me onto the relevant departments:
QUESTIONS RELATING TO THE INCIDENT ON SUNDAY 1ST JUNE
1) Why were Riot Police aggressively deployed against people returning from a peaceful demonstration? Which Police Corps were present at this incident?
2) Why did the above mentioned Police seek to provoke a confrontation with the demonstrators?
3) Why did the Police use concussion grenades on demonstrators that they outnumbered by over 20 to 1?
4) Why did the Police use concussion grenades when other less dangerous weapons such as teargas, water cannons and rubber bullets were available?
5) Why did Police fire concussion grenades at protesters who were running away from them up steep concrete staircase?
6) How many different types of concussion grenade were in use at this incident?
7) What are the guidelines for the use of concussion grenades?
8) Who was directly responsible for the actions of the Police on Sunday June 1st and to who are they accountable?
QUESTIONS REGARDING THE TREATMENT OF JOURNALISTS IN GENEVA AND LAUSANNE
1) Why were accredited journalists assaulted by the Police when covering the G8 demonstrations?
2) Why were press cards not recognized?
3) Why did the Police confiscate films and videotapes from accredited journalists?
4) Why did the Police confiscate breathing protection from accredited journalists?
5) Why did Police dressed as Anarchists raid the media centre at Usine assaulting the journalists inside with batons?
How long it will take for relevant departments to respond to the above remains to be seen. Watch this space.