Saturday 9th June • Assemble 12 Noon @ Manor House
• Finishing at Chestnuts Park for a picnic •
All Welcome: especially cycles, scooters, wheelchairs,
skateboards, rollerblades, pedestrians…
Supported by Haringey Solidarity Group www.haringey.org.uk
FOR CLEAN AIR AND A GREEN G8
WHY HAVE A CRITICAL MASS BIKE RIDE IN HARINGEY?
We are joining together on a Critical Mass Bike Ride through Haringey as a
colourful and fun way of highlighting environmental and transport issues in
the borough. In the week when the G8 are gathering in Germany and the day
after the International Day of Direct Action Against Climate Change we should
also be focusing on the global crisis of climate change and the environmental
impacts of oil dependency.
• It’s time we reclaimed our streets from the traffic and congestion that
causes toxic levels of pollution and injury and death.
• We want cycle lanes on Green Lanes and all over Haringey to make cycling
a safer, more viable form of transport.
• We want measures in place to reduce traffic speeds on all roads in Haringey,
where dangerous driving regularly puts cyclists, children and pedestrians at risk.
WHAT’S THE G8 GOT TO DO WITH THIS?
• The G8 (Group of eight, most industrialized nations) Summits are hosted, on
rotation, by the group’s member states. In 2007 the summit is to be held on
6-8 June in Rostock, Germany.
• While it seems to be in the news a lot, Climate Change is perhaps the issue
that has received least attention compared to the scale of destruction that
life on earth is facing. It is the most serious problem facing the world, more
serious than international terrorism, according to the UK Government’s chief
• Climate change needs to be higher on the G8 agenda. However, we cannot
leave it just to the scientists and politicians to dismantle the carbon machine.
• This bike ride aims to highlight this issue through action and the promotion
Let’s celebrate the freedom and pleasure of travelling by bike – it’s much more
fun and much healthier than being stuck in a car in a traffic jam. This will be a
fun day out for everyone in a safe, supportive, positive atmosphere, showing
how much safer and more pleasant our streets can be.
COME AND JOIN US!
If you feel it’s time to promote cycling and encourage a more sustainable
Haringey, or if you would like to get involved, visit the Haringey Solidarity Group