PUBLIC MEETING - READING.
Including speaker from umbrella organisation 'Disarm-DSEi'* as well as local activists
THUR 8TH SEPT, 8PM.
RISC, 35-39 LONDON STREET, READING (see www.risc.org for directions, parking etc)
DSEi (Defence Systems and Equipment International), the world's largest arms fair, takes place biennially at the ExCeL centre in London's Docklands, sponsored by the British Government. Selling everything from battleships and attack helicopters to cluster bombs and machine guns, DSEi profits from death and destruction, draining money from public services and fuelling repression and conflict around the world. This year DSEi is scheduled to take place between 13 - 16 September, but that's not going to happen...
Since 2001 diverse groups of activists have mobilised against the arms fair, taking different kinds of action from symbolic protests, vigils and street theatre to direct action such as blockades, 'lock-ons' and street parties aimed at disrupting the arms fair, and this year is no different.
In Reading a coalition of activists have come together to co-ordinate local planning for the DSEi protests from 10th - 16th September, including this public meeting on 8th September. Come along to find out more about DSEi and the global arms trade with speakers from 'Disarm DSEi', meet local activists and get involved, learn what is allready being planned and maybe plan more ourselves!
For more info or to get involved in Reading please email email@example.com or ring 07833 758317 and leave a message.
SHUT DOWN DSEi!
DESTROY THE ARMS TRADE!
PUBIC MEETING - READING.
Including speaker from umbrella organisation 'Disarm - DSEi' as well as local activists
THUR 8TH SEPT, 8PM
RISC, 35-39 LONDON STREET, READING (see www.risc.org.uk for directions, parking etc)
*Disarm-DSEi is an umbrella organisation co-ordinating a week of action and resistance where diverse groups will use the methods of protest and tactics of action they believe are most effective. Actions already planned include:
Sat 10th September:
- Street Party for Peace! 1pm. See www.disarm-trade.org or ring 07903 812 190 for the location.
- Musical Protest, 2-4pm, outside ExCeL Centre, Custom House DLR.
Monday 12 September:
- Candle lit procession & prayer vigil, 6.30pm, Tidal Basin Road next to Royal Victoria Station.
Tuesday 13 September (Non-violent Guidelines Day):
- Peaceful Demo, 12pm, meet East Ham Central Park, High Street (nearest tube: East Ham).
- Diaper DSEi Baby Bloc!! 11am Custom House Station
Wednesday 14 September (Destroy the Arms Trade Day of Direct Action!):
- Calling All Cyclists....Critical Mass: Assemble 8.30am outside Bank tube station.
- Blockade DSEi by Road and Rail - A Callout for ‘Massive Direct Resistance to DSEi’!
- Mass Public Action: Occupy Custom House Station, 11am!
Thursday 15 September:
- Protest outside DSEi delegate’s dinner! (TBC, More info when we have it).
Disarm DSEi are also organising a convergence centre in East London to act as base of operations for the week, hosting workshops, a counter-conference and planning meetings. Accommodation will also be available if requested. The Convergence Centre will open Sat 10th September, please contact Disarm-DSEi (details below) for the location. Details of ongoing meetings and training workshops in London can also be found on the website below.
To contact Disarm DSEi please see www.dsei.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 07817 652029.